madstacks

Ledger Nano S questions

Ok so I received mine today and have set it up, and sent some bitcoin to it. I have a few questions about it hopefully someone can shed some light on. 

I expected to have access to wallet private keys but cannot find them and have read you dont get them, is this true? and if so will any bitcoin stored on the nano S be able to claim new hardfork coins? 

I see there is support for both bitcoin cash and bitcoin gold, if i had my bitcoin in my wallet before the hardforks do you know if i would automatically get the same amount in those wallets?

lastly, I have my 24 words and pin safe. Is this everything I need should i need to reinstall or use a new ledge in case of hardware loss?

Thanks for the help:)

Your 24 word seed is your private key.

They made a splitter tool for bitcoin gold.  If you had btc on before the fork you got btcgold to the same ratio.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • Ahh i see! Thanks HH, i just thought that was a backup phrase, I like that they have added support for both bitcoin gold and bitcoin cash. It does give some confidence that if its worth having they will probably support it. 

• Like 1

They support quite a few different coins if you look at the Ledger Manager Chrome app. Be aware though that you can only install about 5 at any one time.  I found it very disconcerting having to delete a wallet that had coins on it just so I could install another one to get some other coins off an exchange!  The coins are still there for the deleted wallet, you just have to reinstall it to get to them.

• Like 1

I’ve got 6 on the Nano but only 5 visible at a time.  I’ve also got 3 or 4 more on an exchange but they’re only small speculative amounts so not too fussed about getting them on the Nano just yet.

I can't seem to delete some as they may have built in connectors ?

I'm only trying to carry 5 on this wallet but can't seem to...

Are any of you aware of any future wallets from these guys that have more options and room...

Thanks 

21 minutes ago, HowardHughes said:

I can't seem to delete some as they may have built in connectors ?

I'm only trying to carry 5 on this wallet but can't seem to...

Are any of you aware of any future wallets from these guys that have more options and room...

Thanks 

What are you trying to delete?  I've managed to delete and re-add several apps.

I believe we have our main beliefs in the most solid ten coins or so...

There are some on ledger that I cant delete....

I dont want to waste your time, I will give another solid go and then if unsuccessful ask again.

Thanks  a bunch ! 

Thanks Chris,

I have been having issues through the above mentioned app...

Will give a more solid go and if unsuccessful I will reach out again if needed.

Many thanks. for all your your help

All the keys for all coins are still on the ledger even if the app for that particular coin is not installed , 

I only keep bitcoin ethereum ( for myetherwallet) and neo as it can acquire gas on mine even though I have coins in most of the other available apps